COVID-19 Update: Please follow all the recommendations from the CDC, local, state, and national authorities in order to stay safe.
updated April 2, 2020
MTI-JATT's Plan to Finish 2019-2020 School Year
Apprentices - Send ALL calls from Mechanical Trades Institute (404-696-7121) to your Voicemail so you can listen and review the information.
This plan is subject to change if the COVID-19 conditions worsen. If changes occur to this plan, MTI-JATT will reassess and communicate a new course of action during the week of May 18th. This plan allows apprentices to continue their training and focus on their safety, their family’s safety, and work. Many of the 5th year apprentices are concerned about turn-out requirements. The MTI-JATT staff will work with these apprentices and provide additional opportunities for 5th year apprentices to complete these requirements. This is an unprecedented year and we understand there will be a need to remain flexible. Communication is vital for everyone. Apprentices should communicate any questions, concerns, or issues related to training assignments to their Program Coordinators.
Starting Monday, April 6th:
Apprentice training will resume using Distance Learning (Blackboard) therefore apprentices WILL NOT come back
to school for the remainder of this school year.
- Distance Learning assignments are required and failure to complete the assignments by the due date will result in apprentices not being eligible to advance. These assignments will be averaged with previous completed assignments for a 2nd semester grade for the 2019-2020 school year. This plan allows the school to meet our Department of Labor and accreditation requirements for training.
- 1st & 2nd year apprentices will continue with their Blackboard courses as already scheduled.
- 3rd, 4th, & 5th year apprentices will begin using Distance Learning courses organized and developed by the Program Coordinators (Andrew Wilson, Mike Hall, & Brannon Baxter). Apprentices should contact their Program Coordinators for Blackboard login assistance. Coordinators will be communicating with apprentices by Friday, April 3rd if they have not already done so.
- All Welding students will continue working through their Blackboard course assignments that was already set-up by Welding Coordinator (Joe Waldroup).
MTI Building will be closed to public until June 1st.
- Staff will continue to work remotely and will report to building on limited based on conditions/restrictions.
- Staff has been in communication using text/email with Fall 2020 program applicants and has plan in place to schedule and notify when interviews are permitted.
- Staff will communicate with apprentices by text, voicemail, and display information and updates on website.
Starting June 1st
- The school will add additional Open Shop days, Welding Test Sessions, and Braze Session for June and July for 5th year apprentices to meet certification requirements for turnout. Additional EPRI Rigging Class, Orbital Class, and OSHA 30 class will also be added as needed. 5th year apprentices will be permitted to participate this year in the Orbital Class.
- These opportunities will also be open to other apprentices and journeymen to participate in if room was available.
Apprentice Advancement for August 1st, 2020
- Apprentices must complete the amended training requirements to be eligible to advance.
- The Board of Trustees will re-assess the work situation in July 1st to determine if any amendments should be made to the OJT Hour Requirement for apprentice wage advancement.
- The school plans to have the Pay Roster (assessible through the school website) available for contractor review by July 12th.
Please contact Jeff Rogers at email@example.com or Tony Hoyle at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions regarding MTI’s plan to finish out the 2019-2020 school year.
updated March 31, 2020
Unemployment Information - Contact the Local 72 for more information or check out the Department of Labor website.
updated April 2, 2020
Welding | Journeyman
- Until further notice the UA will not suspend or expire any of our member current active certifications for welding, rigging, valve, instrumentation, foreman, etc.
- All weekend classes (CE or Certification) and Weld Shop access have been suspended for the next 3 weeks.
- Please email welding continuity forms to "email@example.com".
- Please make sure that you update any changes to your cell phone number, email, and physical address via the school's website. The school is in the process of updating its methods of communication regarding applications and the next steps for enrolling into the apprenticeship program. The school will notify applicants by using text, email, regular mail, and by posting information on the school's website. Now that you have applied with the school, you are now eligible to apply with Local 72 and seek employment as a helper.
- Email and texts were sent out to FALL 2020 Applicants on March 30, 2020. CLICK HERE for more INFO.